iEntry 10th Anniversary About Videos

Home » G1 Updates

Updating G1 Phone To RC29 Without Waiting?

Disclaimer - This G1 updating process, as reported from the Android community, has the potential to “brick” your phone if you don’t do it right. It is imperative that you follow the directions exactly, or you run the risk of screwing your phone up for good. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!

Additional Note Of Interest – As reported in the comments below, it seems that the method below DOES work fine, as long as you use a different MicroSD card then the one that came with the G1 phone. Thanks to our readers for picking up on this – great information!

Further Developments……

According to “Will”, who is a T-Mobile forum moderator, there is some new information on this “manual” updating process that you need to be aware of (here is the original post):

I’ve checked with our Product Development staff and they have informed that this is definitely not what we want people doing.  The Updates are intended to be distributed to everyone via an Over-The-Air Update.  While I understand that many of you have downloaded this update and seem to have it working, T-Mobile cannot support you in doing so.  If you download and attempt to install this or any other update (regardless whether its from Google or not) to your device, and it is rendered unusable, you are out of luck.  Even if we do exchange it, you will be without a device for several days (or possibly even weeks).

The updates are being sent out to everyone.  We didn’t plan the OTA updates to be installed on a phone which had already been updated manually.  Hopefully the OTA installer is smart enough to realize the update is present, but who knows.  If your phone is ‘bricked’ due to the offical OTA being installed on a manually updated phone, once again, you are out of luck.

————————————————————————————-

So, you’re tired of waiting for the RC28 RC29 update for your T-Mobile G1 phone? Do you have a MicroSD card laying around?

Apparently, a lot of people were tired of waiting. The update was scheduled to take place over the air over the period of a few weeks, as reported by official T-Mobile sources. But like any good tech savvy gadget head, someone got cranky and decided to figure out how to do it on their own, and here’s the deal.

• Rename the file you just downloaded to update.zip
  • Copy the file update.zip to the root of your micro sd card.
  • Now turn off your phone and turn it back on while holding the home key.
  • When you see a triangle with a exclamation sign and a phone, slide open your keyboard and press ALT-L to display the menu and then ALT-S to start the update process.
  • Wait for the update to finish. If prompted, press Home + Back to restart your phone.
  • Wait a little bit more and done!

After reading the comments of folks that tried it, they all pretty much said the same thing “Thanks, it worked great!”. But there were also plenty of people who were more content on waiting for the update to be delivered safely OTA. Updating via your MicroSD card, as stated in the disclaimer at the beginning of this post, should be approached with extreme caution, and plenty of bravery!

If you did attempt this G1 update – please let us know in the comments below. We’d love to hear what happened!

(Image source: http://androidcommunity.com/update-your-t-mobile-g1-from-a-microsd-card-20081031)

Share/Bookmark this!

52 Comments »

• JR said:

Hey, I just tried the update and is not working. I put the new file in the microSDcard and did everything, but when I press the Alt+S to start the update, Its says “aborted, can’t recognize file” I did it 3 times already and giving up so I dont damage my G1.

• Ryan said:

Thanks for the feedback JR.

Like I said, over at the Android community, apparently people are having success with it…but I imagine some people (including yourself) aren’t among the lucky ones :(

Again – thanks for your feedback, very helpful.

Best of luck dude!

• Adil Siraj said:

Thanks a lot, I did exactly as per your instructions and it worked fine, it is showing RC29 under Build number.

Thanks again.

Adil

• Ryan said:

Adil – BIG thanks for letting us know that the update worked for you. It just goes to show that it’s working for some, and not for others.

The good thing though is that it IS working, and I guess it’s kind of a “luck of the draw” kind of deal.

Thanks again for posting, and we hope to see you back soon!

Ryan

• Joe Burgess said:

T-mobile rep told me yesterday that the OTA update release time frame had been extended through Nov 10. So dont be discouraged if you havn’t recieved it yet. I decided not to wait and found that the update would not work at all using the 1 gb chip that came with the G1. Used another microsd I had and the install worked perfectly.

• Adil Siraj said:

I have also used my other microSD (from my old TMO-Dash) not the one which came with my G1, so I guess update worked because I have used my other microSD.

Thanks,
    Adil

• Keith said:

I tried it just as listed above (though user’s should note that you have to hold the alt button while your pressing L and S for it to work) but then it prompted me to press the home and back button and it said it was writing something else then it rebooted and it had a micro chip with an arrow going to it.. I thought I was in trouble but just wait and it will reboot again with a updating screen and then it will reboot again and it will take a long time to reboot like 3-5 minutes. Once that was done it was all good to go running RC29. Thanks!

• Ryan said:

@ Joe – VERY good information to know. As a matter of fact, I’m going to add that to the post, so that it may save some time and trouble for everyone else. I also wonder if that was the problem that JR had. Good stuff!

@ Adil – Thanks for confirming that! It will definitely be added to the post!

@ Keith – I’m glad you’re up and running! Thanks for the helpful hints, and best of luck!

• Keith said:

Also I would like to add that I did not use the 1GB micro SD card that came with the phone I used a 16GB San Disk micro SD card I bought from Best buy for $100…very worth it, someone else noted that the update will not work with the factory card. Thanks again!

• Adil said:

after updating to RC29, battery life/performance increased tremendously, battery is showing 75%, otherwise I had to charge after regular use/talk/browse with 3G on, after mid day/evening.
    So I guess this is the main advantage of RC29 other than security updates.

Thanks,
    Adil

• William D Lewis  said:

Updated mine worked fine> don’t use the supplied sd card

• gc said:

It works just fine… I was worried about destroying me g1, but follow the steps exactly and you will be fine.

• meatrocket said:

It worked fine for me AFTER I realized that when I did the rename of super long download file name in windows it was update.zip.zip… I went over to the SD card opened a command prompt and did … rename update.zip.zip update.zip

The error coming up with after before I did the rename was… “error, cannot find /sdcard/update.zip

I may be stating the obvious… but worth a try..

• Niel said:

The download link is not available anymore.
    But, a quick google search will reveil severel rapidshare mirrors ;)
    Cant get the phone in this country (DK) yet, but I will definitely get one ASAP when I get the possibility.
    Wonder if its possible to “downgrade” this way.

• scott8357 said:

After waiting til nov 12 for any update (was on rc19). Woke up happy to see update availabe the morning of the 12th. About 45 sec into update my phone displayed a triangle with an exclamation point. No matter what it was bricked for the next few days. I d/l manual updates and try to force past recovery but to no avail cannot mount sd card / error out. Tried all tmo advice in addition to countless resets and factory reset but alas my new g1 remained bricked. Finally tmo saying we do not have any way to manually update software agreed to send me a new g1. Impessively it arrived in two days. Howevever I am pretty sure it was a refurb (not sure how they had these available already) but the new handset worked so within minutes I was signed into google and all was well. After a few minutes I noticed the refurb had a sd in it so I looked to see if they had mistakenly shipped it with update.zip on root. Nope plain jane factory card w/bloatware and mp3s anyway had already tried 3 diff sd cards in my brick but thought why not so I tried num 4 and presto up to 29 then on to 30 works like a champ…not sure how they distinguish between sd cards but it is apperent that they do btw the one that worked was 1 gb sandisk that came in refurb my orig was transcend and also tried 8 gb kingston and old 1 gb sandisk that I had. I did have jailbreak root access before my phone bricked so everyone shoulld ensure they have a working sd card that can do manual updates before exploring g1 features and ota updates. Jmho

- Scott

• Ruthie said:

how come my update skipped RC28 & RC29 and went directly to RC30 is that good or bad?

and what is the diff between them or what is it do exactly?

• hr said:

I am just waiting for the update to come. I dsont want to take any risk on my g1.

• nash said:

how do you find the root on the sdcard

• army said:

can any one let me know when we are geting flashplayer

• karen paulus said:

I did not receive rc 28 or 29. Its october of 2009 and under my build number it says rcd38. What is up with that?

• ehab said:

Calls

• michael kors outlet said:

I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours as
    of late, yet I never discovered any fascinating article like
    yours. It is pretty value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all website
    owners and bloggers made just right content
    material as you did, the web will be a lot more helpful than ever before.

michael kors outlet

• clash of clans hack said:

Very gooԀ info. Lucky mе Ӏ found your website by accident (stumbleupon).
    ӏ’vesaved aѕ а favorite for lateг!

Check out mʏ webpage – clash of clans hack

• Ronaldreve said:

I do not even understand how I stopped up right here, but I assumed this submit was once good. I don’t realize who you’re but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you happen to aren’t already. Cheers!|
    Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your page. Im really impressed by your blog.
    This is a topic that’s near to my heart… Take care! Exactly where are your contact details though?|
    I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!|
    Hello, its good piece of writing concerning media print, we all be aware of media is a great source of facts.|

• Tyrant Unleashed Cheats 2014 said:

I just like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly.
    I am somewhat certain I will be informed many new stuff proper right here!
    Best of luck for the following!

Also visit my weblog; Tyrant Unleashed Cheats 2014

• voice over work said:

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not
    very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where
    to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

• clash of clans hack said:

Hello mates, its great paragraph on the topic of educationand entirely
    defined, keep it up all the time.

• High School Story Hack said:

Your style is really unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff
    from. Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity,
    Guess I’ll just book mark this site.

my blog :: High School Story Hack

• racing Rivals Cheats said:

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied
    that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

My weblog – racing Rivals Cheats

• herbalife said:

Every weekend i used to visit this web site,
    for the reason that i want enjoyment, as this this website conations in fact good funny data too.

My site – herbalife

• flappy bird cheats said:

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop, just so
    she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

• work sampling system said:

It should be noted that Loral locates metamorphic communication
    [20,15,24]. This article looks at what is involved in undertaking such
    a task. The juice of root mixed with the latex of Ficus religiosa
    L. one Hardware and Software program Configurationfigure0.
    The larger sigma gets, the lesser the number of defects.
    Even though you only touch the surface physically, the work you do makes a profound
    impact on the psyche of your clients.

my web-site; work sampling system

• jobs las vegas nv said:

These review websites not only present a list of business credit cards that are available in the market, they also enumerate the strongest and weakest points of each card.
    Don’t turn down any jobs and in time hopefully you’ll get a full time
    position. In fact, a business credit card holder can use credit card statements and annual account summary
    reports as accurate references when performing accounting tasks
    or when filing business taxes. I was told that a good 90% of applications that were turned in were from people saying something along the
    lines of, “I’m sorry, I’m on vacation in blah,blah,blah. Aiming to serve the Filipino-Americans, Overseas Filipino Workers and the rest of the global Filipino community better through a user-friendly and highly secure e-commerce storefront, Store ng Bayan, a Filipino online store owned and operated by Philfortune Media Group, continues to improve its services. With waterless and oil a lot less cooking, all three of these potential risks to your foods are averted.

Review my blog – jobs las vegas
    nv

• raleigh Nc jobs said:

General salesmen make up the largest portion of this population,
    with about 6,000 of them employed in the city today.
    As a result the Navy ordered that most of the new ships be made with Aluminum hulls.
    This market meets year round on Saturdays from 8:00am to Noon and Wednesdays from 3:00-6:00pm.

The economy benefits from many foreign companies with offices in Orange County.
    When you reach the end of your targeted cities, restart
    at the top, rinse and repeat. Thus, the Missouri workers compensation attorney will help these injured
    victims to get justice.

Review my web site :: raleigh Nc jobs

• deepak Chopra Books said:

I’ve tried too many things with the analysis and
    doubts its about time that I try things the way that everybody
    else is doing and let the Law of Attraction enter into my life.

As a modern system, however, it was reconstructed and popularized by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
    This law of the purpose in life means that we are all here for a purpose.
    Here’s today’s Soul Practice: Sooner or later, we all encounter fear when we
    move out of our comfort zone. In the Synchrodestiny
    program, Deepak Chopra sets out to examine what we call consciences and
    says that we shouldn’t ignore them as they are evidence of
    what Dr Chopra has called Synchronicity in our lives. Other oddities
    of the diet include the recommendation to only drink
    water at extremely hot temperatures and never drink it cold.

Here is my weblog – deepak Chopra Books

• news reporter Jobs said:

Analysis of inhabit audience people resident, suggested particular damaged for the reason that turbo charge expends respiratory
    system wasn’t start up meant for allow. O’Donnell is originally from England and worked as a computer
    programmer prior to moving to the United States. If you
    decide to share it with 1,10, 100, or nobody,
    there is one essential thing you need to do and that is to get started right now and lock in your position in the forced matrix.
    s in here gives wide situation of what things to actually
    assume about the Philippines. This job involves lot
    of energy and intelligence, because the correspondent has to dig in to
    the news, and it is said, you need to have a nose for news for being a reporter.

But for now we’ll stick to freelancing, including
    ghostwriting, although some of the opportunities may
    require a bit of basic copywriting skills.

Feel free to visit my web site – news reporter Jobs

• suze orman said:

If you have to take a second job, avoid taking one that is out of your field and pays poorly.
    The most common way of splitting expenses among housemates is by tallying up the total monthly cost of rent and utilities and dividing them equally at the end of the month
    with each roommate writing out a check for their portion to the one responsible for
    making sure the bills are paid on time. Many online options exist
    that can make use of as little as $100 per month.
    The jar system is another alternative to the envelope option.
    You should buy a home only when you meet Suze Orman‘s criteria and when you will be living in the home long enough to make it profitable for you.
    Most businesses take several years to become financially solid, but MLMs traditionally take even longer, and
    sometimes never even come to fruition.

• Nevada job connect said:

Software began making its first entry into the world of
    auto sales. By zealously and passionately (and this is the key) separating ourselves or
    running away from that which we call bad or evil, we give energy and power
    to evil and make of it a force to be overcome. Then it’s on to the
    important piece of the case interview: the business case.
    Be sure to pay attention to the road if you
    use this time tochat. Cosmetologists are often exposed to a number of chemical
    products while working, including:. I think that the big
    arguments that I have with Gov.

Stop by my page Nevada job connect

• Jobs san Diego said:

The goal of the Casino Dealer School is to ensure those
    that complete the course leave with having
    developed the necessary skills to successfully become skilled Poker Dealers or Casino Table Games Dealer.
    No one can control Mother Nature and her storms, but you can perform a routine maintenance
    check on plumbing apparatuses and other equipment in your house or office
    building. You can even find more things you may consider
    as you embark upon selecting the best equine massage school to suit your needs.
    The team of San Diego Tutoring monitors the step by step progress and keeps attention the growing grades of their students.
    This will be alone or in addition to other handbook therapeutic methods.
    A caveat is the temporary agency requires an applicant to stay
    on the job as their employee a certain amount
    of time before he can apply for a permanent position with
    the company he was sent to.

my web-site – Jobs san Diego

• http://www.einsurancepolicy.us/ said:

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to
    find things to improve my web site!I suppose its
    ok to use a few of your ideas!!

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KNTlnlfGs said:

All these part time or full time home based jobs are available to you
    via internet. Usually this appears on the right side of the page.
    First, working from home should be work, and if a company is offering you thousands of
    dollars for just a few hours of menial labor you should question the advertisement.
    You will be able to choose from butler style, white glove service,
    family style, plated or sit-down dinners, and buffets.
    But right now you may consider yourself very
    lucky cause I have gathered three perfect opportunities to choose from in order
    to make a steady income without any struggles. Stay clear of listings that offer you high income for part-time
    hours.

Here is my blog – stuffing envelopes work home, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KNTlnlfGs,

• g4s Careers said:

Guards in hospitals may be required to help in dealing with patients who are mentally ill and others whose
    actions are influenced by distress associated with their medical condition.
    7% from December of 2000 (the peak month for
    total NYC employment) to January of 2003. Chandler engaged in an amorous
    relationship with one of the supervisors for the Wackenhut team, Arthur Paiva while she was dating some of the other guards as well.
    This slow and mind-numbingly “not-too-bad” self-destruction started in childhood when
    we were told to conform, to sit up straight, to stop making noise, to stop doing the things that we enjoyed, to stop letting
    out minds wander and to steer well clear of any fanciful ideas for our future – we needed to get a
    good education, get a good job, retire and die.
    In most instances, it is probably safest to give up your vehicle.

Furthermore, reports suggest that Vybz Kartel wanted a sizeable portion of Tommy Lee’s booking and publishing rights in
    an effort to exert more control over the Some Bwoy singer’s career while
    also implying that Popcaan owes ‘Di Teacha’ money
    in relation to bookings fees.

My blog: g4s Careers

• schools Jobs said:

With schools in some countries taking months for the hiring process to be completed,
    there are other countries where you can arrive one day and start a job teaching English in less than a week.
    Once one gets into such schools, he must forget every other
    thing and concentrate on studies. Parents are a big factor
    in helping their children to understand the importance of high schools in many ways.

The probabilities are actually infinite when it comes to
    using a medical degree to get the job of your dreams. With these job search tips, you should find it easy to get a teaching job quickly in Thailand and definitely in less than a week’s time.

This is due to age considerations, state requirements
    and the will of their co-teachers.

Also visit my web-site … schools Jobs

• cabin Crew Jobs said:

Ensuring that the product or service is delivered when promised or the problem addressed by the
    agreed deadline. Short call – When scheduling
    gives less than two hours to report for a trip. Many of the airline web sites now do their preliminary
    screening of applicants for flight attendant jobs over the Internet.

And also maintains a record of flight time of engines, airframe and other aircraft
    parts. The responsibilities encircle wide range of duties,
    such as, flight checks, ensuring safety, cleanliness, first aid, and other travel requirements.
    Aviation training centres also offer Aviation Experience sessions to
    schools, colleges and other educational institutions.

My website; cabin Crew Jobs

• Jobs now Hiring said:

They rank among the hottest tech skills in 2012, according to the report.
    Adecco professional business links are usually defined as Adecco Finance & Legal, Adecco Engineering & Technical, Adecco Information Technology, and Adecco
    Human Capital Solutions. CASUAL AUTOMOTIVE MECHANIC – ATLANTA GA NC58920795 Pay is $21.
    It has become more the rule than the exception that the candidates spend more
    time preparing for the interviews and managers prepare interviewing.
    The more an individual can perform various tasks, the more marketable that individual
    will become to companies who outsource. Paid advertising gives faster results but
    when the money runs out so does the campaign.

Here is my web blog: Jobs now Hiring

• Www.youtube.com said:

Zientek had an emergency on another case, leaving me stranded in the courtroom.
    There are several websites that are crawlers and will snag various jobs
    that meet your needs by simply typing in the web crawler’s name into Google.
    If you don’t want a unit on the first floor, make it known.
    Your buildings these residences will be in such a manner that the organic
    beauty on the site is actually maintained upon their first wonder, along with
    the house adds additional attraction for the spot. All in all, there are
    still an abundance of options available that may enhance
    your lifestyles and your careers. 00) is a must try for anyone who finds themselves stuck on what
    to order.

Feel free to surf to my website: jobs in Conroe tx (http://Www.youtube.com)

• sacramento jobs said:

Remember that a life without change is often boring and
    monotonous. Just like recent medalists Apolo Anton Ohno, Sasha Cohen, Shani Davis or Chad Hedrick, Even
    ones who didn’t medal, like Bode Miller will forever remain.

Like most jobs and professions, you need education and knowledge about the work.
    It is not always true as all necessary inspections and repairing are carefully done by
    the car dealerships in Sacramento, CA to ensure that the used car that they are
    putting on sale is fully reliable and in proper working condition.
    Houses are comparable better than to other cities in the country.

For all of these questions, only the best in the industry will be able to provide you with
    a good answer.

my web site; sacramento jobs

• Josefina said:

Below are thе tоp 3 recommendations yyou can loօk for whеn shopping for a
    ɦome espresso machine. Ƭhіs flushing process ϲan change with unique types ѕo refer tߋ the individual manual
    fօr directionss specific tߋ your device. Just beforе purchasing іts
    required cоnsider aboսt the amount οf outlets
    annd output demands.

mу website: Melody 3 Coffee Machiine (Josefina)

• youtube.com said:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

my web blog: youtube.com

• https://archive.org/details/FatBurningFurnace-Review said:

After I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment. Is there a way you can remove me from that service? Appreciate it!

• http://generateurdecodepsngratuitement.blogspot.com said:

I think that what you said was very logical. But, what
    about this? suppose you typed a catchier post title?

I mean, I don’t want to tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added
    a post title to possibly grab folk’s attention?

I mean Update T-Mobile G1 Phone With MicroSD Card | T-Mobile G1 Updates is a little boring.
    You could glance at Yahoo’s front page and see how they create post titles to grab people to open the links.
    You might add a video or a picture or two to grab readers interested about everything’ve
    written. In my opinion, it could make your blog a little bit more interesting.

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally recognized avatar, please register at Gravatar.

1 Trackbacks

1. pujgekru

Side Notes

This entry was posted by Ryan on 1 November 2008 at 13:28 and filed under G1 Updates category.

You can add your comments or trackback from your own site. To keep you updated to the latest discussion, you can subscribe to these comments via RSS.